At the rift of memories

At the rift of memories

First confrontation with the illness – the game ends

With year, memories become clumsy, but what stays in the physical feeling of the taste of Milka chocolate, quenching of thirst with Ora and playing “mini basketball”. Lowered baskets, children laughing, torn sneakers, monumental pride of striking three points, worshiping Aco – Trica and a female coach, for which we gladly rubbed our knees until they bled.
Šola košarke - Slivnica
Sunny spring Sunday. Basketball tournament of mini baskets and great expectations. Flags, new sports uniforms, hundreds of young hands and a whistle at time-out. Bowed heads on the bench, we take in the harsh words of a young female coach. The pole with the Yugoslav flag falls. My knees touch the harsh surface of concrete floor. My hands on my face, blood running through fingers. 

With the ball I enter the darkness … the game ends.

Torn and stitched scalp, mesh, this time on the skull, RTG does now show injuries between eyes. A rough apology of the organizer. Life makes peace with the tricolor, the love for the ball is deeper.

Second confrontation with the illness – Junior prom

Rooms decorated in colours, parents chatting loudly, in the background soft voice of the piano, benevolent expressions on the faces of teachers, the either graders prepare to have the junior prom.

I am holding in my hands a file with speeches, verses, acknowledgements. The offspring standing on the stage, I notice worry in the eyes of the teachers, questions on the faces of the parents. Two chairs remain untaken. The beginning drifts away. Ten, twenty minutes, half an hour … In the corner of the eye a tear, shiver, accusatory look. I feel cold sweat in my palms. Where is mom, where is dad? Where are my parents. A quarter to the full hour, to busy with their lives and without any quilt, my parents arrive. 
Silence pierces through the room. Junior prom begins. The hand twitches, the papers scatter on the floor … we carry out the celebration, the curtain in me drops.

Third confrontation with the illness – grandfather and grandmother

I keep my fingers crossed. My sister is taking a difficult exam at the University. Pathology. I am walking up and down our home garden. A strange feeling. I hear no noise from the woodshed. “57” cigarettes are not here, no sound of our three dogs. It is too quiet. I run towards the house. Through the kitchen door I hear convulsive cry. The read headscarf slips over the face of my grandmother. Hypocritical drops leave their mark. The grandfather left on the shortest way. Everybody’s wings break.

My grandmother fights presence. She waits that one day in the morning they will again have a shot-glass of schnapps with honey, a cup of “Divka” and listen to the morning news. Her wings don’t glue and she cannot accept her life anymore.

A sharp pain in the stomach. Hugs me and gives me a kiss on the forehead. We need to see the doctor. I was not spoiled, it is only her pain again unglued my wings.

Birthday. I did not celebrate it. It was a day of the week. Evening. We are all silent. In the middle of the table a cake that father brought from the hospital. I never liked cake, but this one was ordered by grandmother in the hospital, as she could not bake anymore. I focused my green eyes in the turquoise frosting. Father days: “This is grandmother’s last cake!” She was dying of cancer. I wanted to buke. In my nostrils, the smell of autumn and the hospital gown of my grandma. 
I will never forget the trails I left in the snow in the winter, when I visited her grave every day.

Fourth confrontation with the illness – hide-and-seek with the future

No more fun, no more playful, a torn school bag in army colours, a feeling of an unknown touch, the future becomes broken.


Priljubljene objave iz tega spletnega dnevnika

Iz oči v oči

Facti bruti - možgani uberejo svojo pot